Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Today I am starting my Blog.

I am in the final process of becoming an American Citizen. I have the last immigration application on my desk. My name is on it. I have contemplated this decision for some time now, and have asked myself why would I want to do this?

I grew up 100 km North from the United States of Americas border. Yes I am Canadian. This is where I started "Becoming Marnie". I love my country. As Canadian children we studied and were taught of Columbus and the early years that followed as this continent was established and developed. You see, our early history and the United States history is shared. Both countries have always been present in my mind. But as time has passed in my life I have struggled to keep the facts and history present in my mind and heart. It is true that when you stop using and diligently investing in continual education, the information you once had tends to slip somewhere deep in your brain until one day you need to recall something and alas, it is gone or appears to be gone. I can't extrapolate the knowledge I know I once had. So now I find my self as a infant sponge. I am reading and studying and reintroducing information into my mind. I am trying to absorb anything I can so, I can have the proper discernment to sort through the information that I need to make correct choices in my life. This brings me to today.

I have now almost lived longer in America than I have Canada. I am married to a wonderful, hardworking, self reliant and spiritual man who is an American. My two sons have been born on the soil of the United States of America. My life, is here. Does that take away from the love of a country that has protected me and sheltered me and helped educated me? My answer is no.
I live in the United States and I hold deep in my heart and respect the Constitution that binds this nation together and protects the rights of it's citizens. I believe this country and many of it's citizens, for some reason or another have forgotten the purpose of America and the succor this great nation offers them. Therefore, I have begun to awake and increase my knowledge of this country and where it is heading. The United States of America must be protected and I am willing to do that. I find that I have no other choice but to be a voice and take a stand for this nation. It is my duty to stand as protector for the sake of my posterity and family. This may be the last place where Freedom rings and I will not let that bell be silent on my watch. The full force of my voice can not be heard unless I am able to vote. I must be a citizen to do this.

In the next few months and years, I will use this platform to share what I have learned and why it strengthens my love of this nation. I do not know how long it will take until I will stand at my own public oath ceremony. I know that day will come and I will say a loving tearful farewell to my homeland and claim a new home where I will finish "Becoming Marnie".

9 comments:

  1. Yay... a blog! Also, is it not possible to have dual citizenship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'll be following along! Glad to hear you are doing well and off of Facebook! I just couldn't do it. We need to get together soon - when r u guys free? Call or email me =)

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogosphere! Now my everyday drivel will seem silly when compared to your subject matter. Maybe you can dumb it down for the rest of us who have no clue what is happening outside of our neighborhoods:) Go Marnie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome...good for you! And you should be a writer, I enjoy your writting and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A HUGE step Marnie, but (hopefully) one that will give you security and unity with your family in the U.S. We too, having lived so much of our (married) life outside of the U.S., have a love and appreciation that is sometimes tear-jerking. The promises made about this country are true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well... good luck! I'll be following along, and be proud to call you an American when you take your oath! I'm afraid, however, that there are too many of us smart ones that are lulled into silence about what's going on around us because we are so caught up in the everyday STUFF of life. It's about time we start making some noise. After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease... right?? Hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have you joining our ranks as an official card-carrying member ;-) I'm happy to be included in the journey of "becoming Marnie".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marnie, I love reading your ideas. You are WAY more patriotic than most Americans. I guess we don't always appreciate what we've been given by birth. Good luck with the whole process! You will be a welcome "addition" to the ranks of U.S. citizen, though you've already been one for years. Great blog. I need to update mine~!

    ReplyDelete